Some of us don’t like to just sit there and paddle their way through a calm lake or river; that’s why Airhead came up with the Rapidz 1138 inflatable paddle board to bring more challenges and wildness into your standup paddle boarding experience.
The Airhead Rapidz is one of Airhead’s many popular iSUPs that’s been around for a little while now which was enough for different users to love it and appreciate its qualities and features.
In this review, and just like usual, we’re going to break it down for anyone who’s interested in getting the Airhead Rapidz 1138 as an inflatable board that’s super convenient for water adventures.
Airhead Rapidz 1138 Review – Features & Specs
- Thick EVA traction pad
- Front tie-down system to stow all of your gear
- Leash attachment D-ring
- EZ Push Hi Pressure Valve
- Multiple carry handles
- Tri-fin setup
- Package includes:
- Mesh backpack
- Stainless steel tow ring
- Hi pressure hand pump
- Pressure gauge
- Valve wrench
- Board strap
- Repair kit
|Dimensions||11'6" Long x 38" Wide x 4" Thick|
|Material||Drop-stitch construction with X-Cross Technology|
|Weight limit||330 lbs|
|Number of D-rings||12 D-rings
|Recommended PSI||15 PSI|
|Carry handles||3 carry handles|
You don’t expect an adventure themed iSUP to be small; the Rapidz is 11 feet and 6 inches long which can handle up to 330 lbs like a piece of cake. It’s large enough to support two riders in complete balance and safety not only because it’s long but also because it’s 38 inches wide.
This board is technically huge especially when compared to a standard iSUP. The number 38 is not a common figure when speaking width; this is honestly beyond what most brands can offer for a touring or cruising board. One quick look at the Rapidz and you’ll notice that there are 2 side air-chambers which explain the width of this board.
All of that together result in a stable and versatile board that can be used in different water conditions, and if you add the little fact that the Rapidz is 6 inches to it you’ll end up with an unbeatable inflatable SUP that’s nearly impossible to flip even with minimal paddling skill.
Airhead SUPs are known for being neat and durable like most pioneering iSUP brands with a little advantage which is that they’re a little less expensive in some cases.
The Rapidz 1138 here is made of flexible PVC material that’s used in the making of most quality inflatable products for being tough. When we say flexible we mean that it’s capable of holding its shape and performance for long years to come no matter how many times you inflate or deflate it; and yet, it’ll be rock hard every time.
Another aspect of the board’s durability is the drop stitch technology; it’s an essential part of every quality iSUP’s core and it works in parallel with the multiple PVC layers to harden and strengthen both the board’s inner and external shape.
- A good thing to start with is that the Rapidz 1138 is featured with 2 separate side air-chambers for extra stability. The air-chambers come with independent valves resulting in the board to have 3 valves in total.
- Also, there are 2 storage areas which remind us how large this board is. The front storage area has 6 D-rings while the one on the tail has 4.
- This feature will allow you to secure cargo and items to the board using the bungee cords to keep everything in place.
- You’ll also find 2 other D-rings for both toeing and leash attachment.
- Next, there is the tremendous EVA traction pad which covers most of the board’s back. It’s as thick as it could ever be to enhance comfort and it’s super textured for maximum grip and control.
- The Rapidz is featured with 3 carry handles; one of which is central while the other two are on both the board’s ends. This way, you can easily drag the board out of water, then using the central handle and only one hand you can easily carry it around.
- Last but not least; this board comes with a standard navigation system that consists of 3 fins with a little twist; all fins are removable to guarantee a a smoother packing process.
Now that’s pretty much it, and it’s everything an iSUP needs to be 100% functional for a great paddling experience.
You remember that the Rapidz is 38 wide, right? That’s enough of a statement to sum up what this board is capable of. The Rapidz is a great choice for water adventure enthusiasts who seek more challenging circumstances to feel and enjoy the outdoor’s thrill.
Mainly, this board is designed to take over white waters and rapids as you might have already guessed from the name; it’s super stable with 2 extra side air-chambers and it’s very rigid and durable in case of some serious beating.
Not only that, fishing is also an option with a board like this one; you’ll have enough space for all of your equipments including an ice chest while remaining comfortable and balanced.
Some people might as well go ahead and try Yoga on the Rapidz 1138 which makes a lot of sense.
In flat water, the Rapidz has smooth and straight water tracking and that contributes directly to the amount of effort you got to make in order to cruise the water; the better the tracking, the less effort you have to make.
All in all, the Airhead Rapidz 1138 is one of the coolest iSUPs out there given all its features and also its performance. It’s best suited for intermediate to advanced level who need some extra stability, however, a beginner or a first-time paddler will enjoy the stability and support this board offers.
- A mesh backpack.
- A wrench valve.
- A hand pump with gauge.
- A repair kit
- And a board strap.
It’s basically what most boards come with except for some cases where you might even find a leash and a waterproof phone case. However, this Rapidz’ package is quite a decent one.
- The Airhead Rapidz 1138 has 2 side air-chambers.
- It’s super stable (38 wide).
- It’s versatile and convenient for different water conditions.
- It has a huge traction pad.
- It comes with 2 storage areas.
- It’s tough and durable.
- The 3 fins are removable for practical packing.
- The Rapidz’ package does not include a paddle.
- You might want to invest in an electric pump to save yourself from the hassle of manually inflating this iSUP.