In a world of innovation and competition one needs to offer the best he/she got in order to maintain a spot of their own. Inflatable stand up paddle boards’ industry is now a lot stronger than any time before, and that’s because people are seeking comfort and practicality probably more than anything else.
Zray Sports had a clear vision to make rigid and durable inflatable products that would make people question the fact that they’re actually inflatable. Our concern here is obviously one of their iSUPs that is very popular among all different riders and water enthusiasts; the Zray A4 iSUP.
In this review, you’ll get an up close look at the features and specifications of this board, and how Zray directed its work and thought towards making beautiful, sharp, strong and durable inflatable boards that managed to gain a large fans’ platform.
ZRay A4 Review — Features & Specs
- Soft EVA footpad for additional traction
- Multiple carry handles
- 6 point tie-down system
- 4 stainless steel D-ring for kayak seat attachment
- 3 fin setup (2 fixed, 1 removable)
- Package includes :
- A footrest
- A backpack
- An adjustable aluminum paddle (65-85 inches)
- A high pressure hand pump
- A closing belt to keep the board rolled up in the backpack
|Dimensions||11'6" x 32" x 6"|
|Material||PVC & Super reinforced drop-stitch construction|
|Number of D-rings||12 D-rings
|Recommended PSI||15 PSI|
|Fins||3 fin setup|
|Carry handles||2 carry handles|
The Zray A4 is absolutely not a small board; it’s 11.6 feet long which won’t fail to satisfy a large adult as it also won’t be difficult to handle by smaller ones. However, there is the 10.6 feet version for anyone who’s not sure about getting this size. There’s also a 9’10” version for smaller people.
Another measurement’s aspect is width and this right here is a game changer when it comes to these iSUPs. The wider the board the more stable it’ll be; it’s quite a fact. The A4 is 32 inches wide making a very stable iSUP thanks to both; its width dimension and its overall design.
In terms of thickness, the Zray A4 is definitely up to the highest quality standards with a solid 6 inches that’s technically the best any good brand would opt for with such a large and rigid iSUP.
All in all, looking at these numbers, one has to admit that the A4 is a nicely built iSUP with great potential to easily conquer the water.
Now this is the part where one shouldn’t be concerned this time. As a brand, Zray Sports always chooses the best materials to build all of their infatable paddle boards.
The A4 is made coated using a heavy duty reinforced PVC layer that makes the board go super hard once fully inflated. Not only that; the IDC (I-Dropstitch Core) is a technology used on this board to ensure a higher compressive strength for a great performance.
Moreover, to bond of the board’s pieces together and make them all look like on single body, Zray Sports used thermal inner and outer layers that are very compact and smooth to seal everything together. The result is actually quite pleasing; because looking at this board, anyone can notice the high end production’ quality and see how all parts were smoothly glued together.
This is probably my favorite part about the Zray A4, and this would be an attempt to put all of what’s prominent and great about it in one place.
- First things first; the A4 is very good looking board. I find the color choices to be top notch; the contrast between yellow, black, gray and white is very smooth, yet, professional and sharp.
- Next, there is the traction pad and I’m going to have to say that it’s a little small compared to many other brands. This was a little annoying to me but it did not affect the board’s performance in anyway. The pad is soft and as long as you’re standing or sitting on it you’ll be protected again slipping off the board.
- On the traction pad you’ll find a footrest which is not something you find everywhere. Zray Sports made it possible for a paddler to sit down and paddle comfortably with his/her legs bent enough for a healthy position.
- In order for anyone to easily transport the inflated board single handed; there is a central carry handle that’s rigid and very accessible by anyone no matter what’s his/her size. A second handle is on the board’s tail in case needed.
- To make this board even cooler, they featured it with 12 stainless steel D-rings that can be good for all sorts of things. 6 of these D-rings are on the board’s deck with a bungee cord connecting them. Another 4 are on the sides and these are mainly meant for kayak seat attachment. The last 2 D-rings are at the end of the board and they’re there for anyone to attach safety leashes whenever needed.
- Last but not least, the A4 comes with a trio-fin navigation system. The central fin is larger and removable like usual and that’s for easy packing purposes. The other 2 fins are fixed and smaller.
This is everything that’s featured on the Zray A4, and it’s everything an iSUP needs to deliver what’s expected from it.
- An adjustable aluminum paddle.
- A strong backpack.
- A footrest.
- A high pressure pump.
- A closing belt to keep the deflated SUP nicely folded.
Only a repair kit is missing, which I’d say you’ll never need if you’re normally a friendly user.
The real talk takes place right here. The Zray A4 is an all-round iSUP that’s designed for touring; it’s round nose and sleek body minimizes the effort needed to paddle through water.
The rigidity and stiffness of the A4’s body make it so responsive; you can easily change directions, perform some maneuvers and why not take on some waves. The potentials we have here are definitely not limited to touring; anyone can use the A4 for recreational paddling or even fun racing. It tracks nicely and it’s very stable.
- The Zray A4 is a stiff and rigid iSUP
- It’s 32 inches wide making it a very stable board
- It comes in a package that includes everything necessary to start paddling
- It’s great for entry level paddlers
- It comes with a footrest
- The color choice and design on this one are really neat and sharp
- I personally found the deck pad to be smaller
- There is no repair kit