If we’re to talk about the perfect package I’d gladly present the Zray R1 as the perfect example. This is a racing inflatable stand up paddle board that is designed to defy the different water conditions and give you the best possible paddling experience.
To start with; Zray is known for their strong products that include kayaks, boats and other water sport accessories. While building their iSUPs, Zray took into consideration everything beginning with quality and ending with their user-friendly designs that are meant to make standup paddle boarding a sport for everyone.
With no further due; this review will reveal most of what you need to know about the Zray R1 which is definitely a killer.
Zray 12’6″ R1 Review — Features & Specs
- Constructed with military-grade PVC & Drop stitch
- Longer and thinner shape which makes it glide fast in the water
- Stretched and narrow style
- Tie-down system to carry personal belongings
- One large removable fin
- 3 Soft fabric carry handles
- Package includes :
- 3PC adjustable & lightweight aluminum paddle
- 1 removable fin
- Manual pump
- Repair kit and waterproof case
|Dimensions||12'6" Long x 30" Wide x 6" Thick|
|Material||Military-grade PVC & dropstitch technology|
|Number of D-rings||14 D-rings
|Recommended PSI||15 PSI|
|Fins||1 large center fin|
|Carry handles||1 center carry handle|
|Warranty||1 year warranty|
Racing boards are known for being large, and so is the Zray R1. This board is 12.6 feet long which leans towards what’s huge and head-turning. It’s perfect for speed and it can take up to 352 LBS.
As for width, this board is 30 inches wide which is pretty great for a racing board, and that makes it very suitable even if you were a beginner who just kicked it off with standup paddle boarding; the board is stable and it’ll support your body movements for better control over it.
Thickness is a major concern here and the Zray R1 went nothing bellow the good 6 inches. These 6 inches will keep you on the water with dry feet if you put your mind to it. Once fully inflated, it’s nearly impossible to make this board bend, as there is almost zero flex even when it reaches its weight capacity.
The Zray R1 is one hell of a stiff iSUP thanks to multiple layers with which it’s built. Its body is made of extra reinforced PVC material that makes the board so dense and rigid. The super strong drop stitch technology allows the board to maintain its original shape for years while being rock hard every time you inflate it.
The sides of the board are sealed with outside tarpaulin meshed PVC cloth for enhanced air tight properties, as well as a PVC core rail seam tape for optimum rocker control.
This board is virtually indestructible; I’ve seen a car running over it and it made no damage whatsoever. The people behind the Zray gave it their best to accomplish the ultimate inflatable standup paddle board that would compete and win against the hard boards. That being said, an inflatable SUP wins because of all the features and endless possibilities you can use it for.
Now as you can see, the Zray R1 is such a beautiful racing iSUP with a very sharp nose that is designed to slice through the water smoothly and swiftly. That fact didn’t stop the company from making sure it equipped with everything that makes standup paddle boarding different a unique. The Zray R1 is featured with:
- An EVA deck pad that’ll allow you more control over the board especially when needing to quickly change directions.
- 3 rigid carry handles; one of which is central, while the other two are fixed on each end; it’s a big board and a second would be great for when you need to carry it after inflating it.
- You’ll also find a set of 14 stainless steel D-rings that work as the perfect and complete bungee system. 8 D-rings are on the board’s nose and they are meant for you to secure anything at all to the board while sailing. The other 6 D-rings are distributed on the sides of the board allowing you to attach a kayak seat if needed.
- Now the best part is the EVA traction pad; it covers two thirds of the board’s back leaving only the storage area unpadded. It’s super soft and grippy with great, sharp and adventurous color choices.
- The navigation system on this board consists of one large removable fin that does a great job in different water conditions. It’s easy to attach/detach and it’s ultimately rigid once fixed in place.
- Last but not least, we must appreciate the color and design of this board; it’s absolutely head turning. Black and yellow are never to disappoint.
I’m trying to sound professional and objective, but man this package is absolutely better than many other packages that you might come across for a racing iSUP! The Zray R1 comes with:
- A hand pump that can inflate the board up to 15 psi which is enough to make it turn rock hard.
- An aluminum paddle with a T-grip that can be easily adjusted to suit your height.
- A closing belt to keep the deflated iSUP in place after folding it.
- A large backpack to fit the board and other accessories in it.
- A water-proof phone case.
- And the large fin.
I couldn’t be more satisfied with a package like I am with this one. It’s everything you need to hit the water safely and fully equipped. However, there is no repairing kit; which if you are a friendly user, you won’t need it anytime soon.
Looking at the Zray R1’s design, you can easily tell that it glides on water like an authentic board. It’s sharp nose, stiff construction and rigid body all make it very stable and versatile.
It’s quite fast in flat water with great water tracking, as it’s also responsive and easy to maneuver regardless of its big size. The Zray R1 is specifically made for riders with intermediate to advanced skill levels who are interested in racing and speed.
Even though the Zray R1 is a racing iSUP, it works perfectly for touring and even yoga if you wish; it’s strong, stable and versatile making it a safe choice even for beginners.
- The Zray R1 is a huge racing iSUP that is fast and stable
- It’s featured with an amazing EVA traction pad and a kick pad
- It’s comes in an awesome package
- The technology used to build it makes it very stiff and dense
- The board is responsive but it can be a bit hard to control especially in choppy waters
- This board requires some sup’ing skills